Last week, I shared a sewing technique for creating a Reverse Applique. Today, is all about finishing the project.
I wanted to freshen up my outdoor space and thought a quick pillow would be perfect for summer naps in the sun!
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- scrap fabric
- pillow form
- sewing machine
- To start, I measured my pillow length x width and added 1″. (this added my 3/8″ seam allowance, plus some room for the fullness.)
- I created my stars in the upper left corner using the Reverse Applique technique.
- To create the stripes, I alternated ripped strips of white and red fabric 1 3/4″ wide.
- Using a straight stitch on the longest setting, I stitched down the center of each strip leaving long tails of thread on each end. To gather the ruffles, I pulled the top thread from each side and “scrunched” to length.
- Pin ruffles in place and attach with a standard straight stitch in matching thread color. To keep things neat, I folded under each end. Continue as needed to achieve design.
- Sandwich front and back of pillow cover; right sides together. Starting at one side, straight stitch all around pillow; leaving enough room to insert pillow form.
- Clip corners; turn right side out; press and insert form.
- Slip stitch closed with needle and thread.